Date:      Fri, 15 May 1998 10:37:21 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        Zoltan Sebestyen <szoli@cs.elte.hu>
Subject:   Re: mount by user

Zoltan Sebestyen wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  I can't mount my ATAPI cdrom as a simple user, altough I could do it with
> the floppy and the SCSI ZIP Drive by adding r/w permissions to the
> appropriate devices for the 'other' and 'group' users and using a
> directory owned by me as mount point.

	Well you're very close to the answer. :) You want to look at the
permissions on the device itself this time. For instance on my machine:

brw-r-----  1 root  operator   19,   0 Apr 11 17:52 /dev/wcd0a
brw-r-----  1 root  operator   19,   2 Apr 11 17:52 /dev/wcd0c

	There is always more than one way to do things in unix, you could add
read permissions for "other," however what I did was add myself to the
operator group. Thsi way I don't have to worry about changing the
permissions again after I rebuild the devices next time.

Hope this helps,

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud designer and maintainer of the world's largest Internet