Date:      Sat, 22 Aug 1998 13:23:04 +0300
From:      Anand Buddhdev <me@anand.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PPP not dying (again)

Hello. I posted a problem some time ago, when I was not on the list. I
received no replies, and my problem is still not solved. I tried to serach
the archives as well, but I could not find any answers. Please help me. I'm
on the list now.

I've set up a FreeBSD 2.2.5 server. Everything is OK, except for one
thing: Dial-in. A user dials-in from a win 95 box, gets a terminal screen,
logs in and gets the $ prompt from sh. They then type:
exec /usr/sbin/ppp -direct dialin  (the dialin section from the ppp.conf
file is as follows):

dialin:
 ifaddr 192.168.0.1 192.168.0.2
 set timeout 120

I've enabled a tty on port ttyd1 in my /etc/ttys file.

So they are able to establish a PPP session to my server. Then after
checking their mail, they disconnect. This is where the problem comes up.
Sometimes, the PPP process on the server will die, and the port will be
ready to accept another connection. Sometimes, however, it does not die,
and if the next user tries to connect, they can't. I have to manually kill
-HUP the PPP process. Initially, I thought it may be because the modem was
not setting the CD low for long enough. So I changed modem settings to
leave the CD on all the time, and take it low during disconnect. I set it
such that it would hold the CD low for 10 seconds. This seemed to help,
because now the PPP process died properly on remote disconnect, but only
the first few times. Then, after 4 tries, the same thing was happening. I
am now at a loss to understand what's going on. The modem is a Multitech
MT1432. I used the following string to setup the modem:

at&f&c2s0=1s17=100s24=100&w0

s0=1 to auto-answer
s17 and s24 for the long space disconnect (hold the CD down for 10 seconds)
&c2 for leaving the CD on all the time, and only to go low on disconnect.

I tried the default settings to start with, (except s0=1), but that was
bad. With the additional settings, it seems to have helped, but it won't
do, because I am away from the server most of the time, so it has to work
unsupervised mostly.

As an aside: If I have more than one modem attached to the COM ports on my
computer, how can I have PPP assign dynamic private IP's to dial-in users?
The above configuration I have gives only one IP to the remote side.

Thanks.

--
Anand