Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 2015 23:13:41 +0000
From:      Henry Hu <henry.hu.sh@gmail.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>, "Ranjan1018 ." <214748mv@gmail.com>
Cc:        Garrett Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>, FreeBSD CURRENT <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Slow shutdown

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 1:55 PM Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com> wrote:

> > and
> > >
> > > Not a lot of info here to diagnose your issue...
> > > - What happens if you hit control-t, i.e. what wait channel does it
> print
> > > out?
> > > - What filesystems do you have mounted (fuse, NFS, UFS, ZFS)?
> > > - What=E2=80=99s your root media (SSDs, SATA/PATA hard drives, etc)?
> > >
> > > Thanks..
> > >

> > Solved !
> >
> > The slow shutdown is caused by some remote smbfs shares mounted via
> > openvpn: the remote drives are unmounted after the openvpn daemon
> > termination, this induces some long timeout. The solution is to unmount
> the
> > smbfs shares in a shutdown script before the openvpn daemon termination=
.
> > have discovered this issue with this =E2=80=98dirty=E2=80=99 patch that=
 displays  the
> > unmounted fs at shutdown:
> >
> > http://pastebin.com/Xfiz9nsv
> >
> > With this patch shutting down my laptop appear as:
> >

> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzoWQoMqq1sfcHZyRnlEeTRobFU/view?usp=3Ds=
haring
> > .
> >
> > For testing the the patch apply it in /sys/kern, rebuild and install th=
> > kernel.
> >
> > Set the new OID:
> >
> > # sysctl kern.shutdown.show_umountfs=3D1
> >
> > Halt the system:
> >
> > # shutdown -h now
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Maurizio
>

> The same issue exists in fusefs, but has an uglier result. The fuse daemo=
> shuts down before any fusefs based file systems are unmounted, but, for
> several R/W file systems including NTFS and exFAT, the result is a corrup=
> file system. I did the same thing to work around this problem... an init
> script, but I wonder if this should not be handled in some cleaner and mo=
re
> global manner. (No, I have no idea right now of how to implement this.)

I think that I've hit this problem several times, because I've lost files
on my NTFS portable harddisk several times. Now I force an unmount in the
shutdown script.
I remember that when fuse module was still in fusefs-kmod, the rc script
unmounts the file systems, and there's even a _safe flag to ensure safety.