Date:      Fri, 26 Jun 1998 10:54:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Scott Bogert <scott.bogert@usa.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I am confused.

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Scott Bogert wrote:

> It says in the documentation that the boot floppy (which i have successfully
> created) will get and set up the files automatically.  You can't mean from a
> dial-up isp.  All the software for dialing the connection etc. couldn't fit
> on one little floppy could it?

Yes it can.  It's compressed but it does fit, barely.

> And if it could...you say that you need your IP address, and that of
> your server (the dial-server?), if my IP address is assigned by my
> server, then how could i know in advance what it is? (or will all this
> be taken care of automattically by the software, seems i read something
> to that effect).

No, PPP is smart, it'll deal with it.  You may have to type `add 0 0
HISADDR' after connecting on the PPP> prompt though.

> If i knew what files to download to my windows HDD (I wish to install
> FreeBDS on my second HDD) then i would be happy to do that.  looking at all
> the files, directories, and subdirectories is somewhat overwhelming to a
> novice like me.  I read (in a single sentence as a side note) that i should
> grab the files bin/manpages/compat*/doc/src/ssys*.  if i stash that/those on
> my c drive, will the boot floppy allow me to install them onto the D: drive?

As long as drive C: is a FAT disk (not FAT32), you can do it.

These install methods are all detailed in
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.2.6-RELEASE/INSTALL.TXT .

> (i am pretty sure the answer is yes...i thought i saw that as i made a dry
> run thru the installation procedure, just making sure).  but will that/those
> be enough to allow me to boot off of the D: drive (FreeBDS) and then dial
> into my isp and then install the rest of the files from an ftp site?

That is one way.