Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2000 11:38:51 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Hellmuth Michaelis <hm@kts.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Big ATA problems

On Sun, 20 Feb 2000, Hellmuth Michaelis wrote:

> Doug Rabson wrote:
>
> > > atapci0: <VIA 82C586 ATA33 controller> port 0xe000-0xe00f at device 7.1 on
> > > pci0
> > > ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
> > > ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
> > > isic0: Error allocating io at 0x160 for Teles S0/16.3!
> > >
> > > While I was able to use the Teles again by changing it's default IO port I
> > > think there will be some people who will find it cumbersome to have to
> > > change the IO on a card that was working fine before.
> > >
> > > I feel this is a newbus issue with the ATA driver and/or maybe the i4b
> > > driver doesn't really need that many IO ports so I'm sending this email to
> > > both parties.
> >
> > This is a bug in the isic driver. I'm sure it doesn't use every port in
> > that range so it needs to split the range in to two or more pieces and
> > only allocate ports which it actually needs.
>
> How do you come to that conclusion ?
>
> A typical isic hardware has an ISAC and an HSCX chip onboard. The ISAC
> chip does the D-channel handling and uses offsets 0-0x2b and 0x30-0x3b,
> the HSCX (B-channels) uses offsets 0-0x3b and 0x40-0x73.
>
> The card in question allocates 3 portranges for this uses with each 0x40
> bytes in length.
>
> In case there is is already an IDE controller allocated at 0x170 and a
> Teles 16.3 tries to allocate a range of 0x40 at 0x160 it cannot do so.
>
> So where is the bug ?
>
> This all looks perfectly reasonable to me with the exception that we could
> start argueing about whether it would be reasonable to split the allocation
> ranges for the ISAC and to save (if at all possible, there are some more
> registers at the end of the HSCX on the card) some bytes in the HSCX case.

So you are saying that what we really have here is a simple i/o conflict
and possibly the ISDN card can be reconfigured to use a non-conflicting
address? If so, then everything is working correctly and the resource
manager has pointed a possible hardware problem :-).

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com