Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 2000 10:34:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        hm@hcs.de
Cc:        julian@elischer.org (Julian Elischer), nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de, kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE, freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ijppp for isdn, ppp compression, and netgraph (also: load balancing)

Hellmuth Michaelis writes:
> > to add a negraph interface to the B channels should be quite easy.
> > If you need help I can prbably almost do most of it..
>
> Its already in the development sources (Archie had a look at it already)
> and it works with mppd. It was really quite easy, although if Archies
> daemonnews article had been available at that time i wrote it, it would
> have been even easier :-)
>
> > when this is done the netgraph PPP nodes (which can support
> >  these compression types will be usable.
>
> In the mppd i worked with (looking ... mpd3.0b1/mpd3.0b2) deflate was not
> present, predictor was not usable, bsd was not present. There were just
> hooks for M$ and stac (which you can not release obviously).
>
> Currently i'm using ppp instead of mppd mostly just because it supports
> deflate compression. I had a look at both mppd and ppp to see how the
> mentioned free stac compression would be integrateable and found them
> both similar, given they both come from iijppp. It looks like if it were
> a good idea if Brian and Archie would merge both to get the best features
> from each one into a common product ;-)

Here is my list of things that 'should be done' at some point:

  1. Implement the various PPP compression types as netgraph nodes,
     starting with Deflate, then maybe predictor-1, STAC (if we can
     do it legally), and MPPC (same thing).

     Once these exist, then mpd 'adapters' will have to be written
     for each one -- these are easy, they just decode the config-req's.

     I already have code for MPPC/MPPE, minus the proprietary STAC
     code and the patented RC4 algorithm, and am going to submit
     it after 4.0-REL as soon as somebody submits an RC4 implementation
     to /sys/crypto in the international repository. Mpd-3.x already
     has support for MPPC/MPPE. This is available on our ftp site..
       ftp://ftp.whistle.com/pub/archie/netgraph/mppc.tgz

  2. We should come up with a 'standard' netgraph control message
     API for an ISDN basic rate interface, and have i4b implement
     this interface.  Then mpd/ppp/etc can "know" this interface
     and therefore work automatically with any ISDN BRI device.
     Here is the interface that we use at Whistle:
       ftp://ftp.whistle.com/pub/archie/netgraph/ng_tn.h
     (note: the switch types are #defined in another file but include
     all of the usual suspects: ETSI, NI-1, AT&T, DMS100, etc.)

-Archie