Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 2003 16:48:57 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Grant Peel <grant@thenetnow.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Ftp changing times of files.

[ CC'ing this back to -questions, and not trimming original message.
  Please CC freebsd-questions@freebsd.org with your replies! ]

Grant Peel wrote to Ryan Thompson:

> OK here goes....
>
> I have 3 machines.
>
> enterprise
> excelsior
> voyager
>
> each have clients /usr/bin/ftp
>
> the forst two are running ProFTPD daemons.
> (I have since set the TimeGMT off in those two).

It could be a ProFTPD issue, although I run ProFTPD, here, and was not
able to reproduce the problem. One way to find out quickly is to
re-enable the stock ftpd on one of the machines and retry your tests. If
the problem goes away with a different server, it's a ProFTPD issue.

> I can PUT a file from any server to another and the timestamp on the file
> will match from the client to the server machine.
>
> When I GET a file, the file I GET has its timestamp set 4 hours
> backwards.

Hmm. That really reeks of time zone issues somewhere in the chain.
Try simpler testing--the stock ftpd, rcp/scp, and see if you can obtain
different results.

So far, it's not obvious to *me* where the specific problem is, but
further testing will help, and maybe someone else on the list has
encountered this before.