Date:      Sat, 6 Jun 2020 14:44:48 -0700
From:      Donald Wilde <dwilde1@gmail.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: circular dependency on print/tex-dvipsk

On 6/6/20, Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 5, 2020 at 6:38 PM Donald Wilde <dwilde1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I've been doing some more work to get to the bottom of why my synth
>> upgrade-system stalled.
>>
>> Here's the pertinent line, though the whole operation's result is
>> attached.
>>
>> print/tex-dvipsk scan aborted because a circular dependency on
>> print/tex-dvipsk was detected.
>>
>> If I understand this it means that two different programs require two
>> _different_ versions of the tex-dvipsk program to be installed.
>> Correct? At this point, it seems to be beyond a 'how did I get here'
>> situation, it's a 'discover which programs cause it' situation.
>>

> Not quite. A circular dependency means that Port-A depends on Port-B and
> Port-B depends on Port-A, though it is normally not so obvious as there are
> usually intervening ports in the dependency path.

That's what I always thought too, Kevin. I had another cause to
reinstall, so the situation is gone now.

> It seems that this should show up during a poudriere builds, too, so it
> would be caught quickly. Not sure why synth (which I have not used in
> years) would have an issue when poudriere (which I have never used) does
> not.

This is new to me since I last approached FreeBSD. I've reinstalled
with more packages than ports. Somehow I checked too many port options
the first time... :-/
> --
> Kevin Oberman, Part time kid herder and retired Network Engineer
> E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com
> PGP Fingerprint: D03FB98AFA78E3B78C1694B318AB39EF1B055683

Thanks for your thoughts Kevin! :D

--
Don Wilde
* What is the Internet of Things but a system *