Date:      Sat, 04 Dec 1999 19:36:28 -0600 (CST)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org, xmcd@amb.org
Subject:   Help needed for ioctl error in xmcd/cda with IDE CD-ROM

[ Cc: to the author of xmcd ]

I could *really* use some help with this, folks!

First, the preliminary stuff:

# uname -a
FreeBSD cx344940-a.meta1.la.home.com 3.3-STABLE FreeBSD 3.3-STABLE
#0: Mon Nov 29 19:29:19 CST 1999
conrads@cx344940-a.meta1.la.home.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/MYKERNEL
i386

Now, for the details:

I just upgraded my CD-ROM drive to an Acer 640-P (50x max).  It works
fine with cdcontrol, wmcdplay and xmms (using libcdaudio.so), and
xmcd and cda can read the disc table of contents and do a CDDB lookup
just fine, BUT...it won't play any tracks (in xmcd or cda)!

I keep getting the error:

CD audio: ioctl error on /dev/racd0c: cmd=CDIOCPLAYMSF errno=5

I've configured and reconfigured the drive using the xmcd config.sh
script, and still can't get past this.  Other players work fine, as
mentioned above, but I *really* want to get xmcd working, as I like
it's CDDB facility very, very much.

I've already done a mailing list archive search, but didn't turn up
anything useful.

I remember a long, long time ago, someone posted some kernel patches
to work around this error, but I've long since misplaced them.  If
anyone still has these, or could conjure something up, I'd be
*extremely* grateful.

If anyone wants to see the -debug output from xmcd, I'll be happy to
provide it.

Please, please, someone out there must know how to solve this!  :-)

Thanks!

--
Conrad Sabatier
http://members.home.net/conrads/