Date:      Fri, 9 May 2008 18:14:02 -0500
From:      jim smith <n0oct@sbcglobal.net>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: k3b again

I've been lurking here, but can stand only so much.

On Fri, 9 May 2008 22:30:46 +0100
Richard Bown <richard.bown@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> As a design engineer I very aware of sharp edges from either picking up
> someone elses fag packet scribbling to taking it from my design to full
> production.
> And part of any design and application process, is to make the end
> results repeatable and allow for tolerances.
> You have only got to look at the installation of openoffice, how come
> all the linux distros can manage to install it in the most an hour.

If you use the precompiled packages for FreeBSD [rather than building
from source], it's as much a snap as it is with Linux.  Building from
source on Linux is no picnic, either.  OTOH, the ports system works
quite well for just about every application I've ever built for
FreeBSD.  I run FBSD on servers at work, on PC's at home and even on my
laptop.

> lets compare that process in FreeBSD, there's all the flaffing about
> manually downloading the Sun packages, openoffice is GTK not java.
> so once you done that, if of course Sun's site works properly, you then
> get all the problems of changed dependencies, so if your lucky  a days
> compiling.

See above.

> That defies all logic,
> Why not be sensible use precompiled libs, and just compile the
> applications.
> One of the reason for linux becoming slicker is the need to produce a
> distro that is commercially viable, to give an effective alternative to
> gatesware.
> I can't see FreeBSD ever getting to the stage of commercial viability.

Look around you.  Many, many commercial sites run on FreeBSD.  Many
internal servers that never see the light of "Teh Interwebs" run
FreeBSD.  It's stable, it's secure and it works.  It's just not
targetted for desktop use.

> And that's why I've put a cut off time of  midnight tonight as the time
> when I can no longer afford to spend 18 hours a day trying to reinvent
> the wheel, where as I can cut a few spokes out of an existing wheel to
> get what I need.

You'll spend an awful lot of time trying to re-true that wheel.

--
jim smith <n0oct@sbcglobal.net>