Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 2015 21:52:44 +0200
From:      Matthias Fechner <idefix@fechner.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Zpool upgrade on mirrored boot volume

Am 28.07.2015 um 21:37 schrieb Doug Niven:
> I ran a ‘zpool upgrade zroot’ then saw the following:
>
> 	If you boot from pool 'zroot', don't forget to update boot code.
> 	Assuming you use GPT partitioning and da0 is your boot disk
> 	the following command will do it:
>
> 		gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 da0
>
> zroot is our boot volume but it’s made up of two mirrored disks: ada0, ada1

gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ada0
gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ada1

If you have never done this before, make a backup before you execute it
and before you reboot.

If you already have updated your pool and you forgot to upgrade the
bootloader, you cannot boot your machine anymore.

Gruß
Matthias

Rich Cook