Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2001 21:26:40 +0000
From:      Ceri <setantae@submonkey.net>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   docs/33017: Updates to config section of Handbook + plus whitespace patch

>Number:         33017
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Updates to config section of Handbook + plus whitespace patch
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD rhadamanth.private.submonkey.net 4.4-STABLE FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE #0: Wed Dec 5 00:48:29 GMT 2001 root@rhadamanth.private.submonkey.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/RHADAMANTH i386

Today's doc tree.

The config section of the Handbook is now out of date regarding
vfs.vmiodirenable. Also, MAXUSERS is now magic.
And fix some typos and whitespace while I'm at it.

Ceri

>How-To-Repeat:
Read it
>Fix:

Patch #1 to fix stuff :

*** doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/config/chapter.sgml.old	Wed Dec 19 20:42:48 2001
--- doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/config/chapter.sgml	Wed Dec 19 21:06:29 2001
***************
*** 123,129 ****

  	  reflects the intended use of your machine.
! 	  <filename>/var</filename> is primarily used to hold:
  	  mailboxes, print spool and log files.  Mailboxes and log
  	  files, in particular, can grow to unexpected sizes based upon
  	  how many users are on your system and how long your log files
--- 123,129 ----

  	  reflects the intended use of your machine.
! 	  <filename>/var</filename> is primarily used to hold
  	  mailboxes, print spool and log files.  Mailboxes and log
  	  files, in particular, can grow to unexpected sizes based upon
  	  how many users are on your system and how long your log files
***************
*** 225,231 ****
  	  that shifting them more towards the edge of the disk will not
  	  lead to a significant performance improvement whereas moving
  	  <filename>/var</filename> to the edge can have a huge impact.
! 	  Finally, there are safety concerns.  Having a small neat root
  	  partition that is essentially read-only gives it a greater
  	  chance of surviving a bad crash intact.</para>
        </sect3>
--- 225,231 ----
  	  that shifting them more towards the edge of the disk will not
  	  lead to a significant performance improvement whereas moving
  	  <filename>/var</filename> to the edge can have a huge impact.
! 	  Finally, there are safety concerns.  Having a small, neat root
  	  partition that is essentially read-only gives it a greater
  	  chance of surviving a bad crash intact.</para>
        </sect3>
***************
*** 282,288 ****
      </itemizedlist>

!       distributed to every system using <command>rsync</command> or similar
        program, whilst the <filename>rc.conf</filename> file remains
        unique.</para>

--- 282,288 ----
      </itemizedlist>

!       distributed to every system using <command>rsync</command> or a similar
        program, whilst the <filename>rc.conf</filename> file remains
        unique.</para>

***************
*** 579,584 ****
--- 579,587 ----
  nameserver 147.11.1.11
  nameserver 147.11.100.30</programlisting>

+
  	<para>If you are using DHCP, &man.dhclient.8; usually rewrites
  	  <filename>resolv.conf</filename> with information received from the
  	  DHCP server.</para>
***************
*** 598,604 ****
  	  a local record of Internet names, reducing the need to query
  	  externally for commonly accessed names.</para>

! 	<programlisting># &dollar;FreeBSD$
  #
  # Host Database
  # This file should contain the addresses and aliases
--- 601,607 ----
  	  a local record of Internet names, reducing the need to query
  	  externally for commonly accessed names.</para>

! 	<programlisting># &dollar;FreeBSD&dollar;
  #
  # Host Database
  # This file should contain the addresses and aliases
***************
*** 699,706 ****

! 	  file for &man.newsyslog.8;, a program that is scheduled to run
! 	  normally by &man.cron.8;.  &man.newsyslog.8; determines when log
  	  files require archiving or rearranging.
  	  <filename>logfile</filename> is moved to
--- 702,709 ----

! 	  file for &man.newsyslog.8;, a program that is normally scheduled
! 	  to run by &man.cron.8;.  &man.newsyslog.8; determines when log
  	  files require archiving or rearranging.
  	  <filename>logfile</filename> is moved to
***************
*** 797,804 ****
  kern.maxfiles: 2088 -> 5000</screen>

      <para>Settings of sysctl variables are usually either strings,
!       numbers, or booleans.  A boolean being <literal>1</literal> for yes
    </sect1>

    <sect1 id="configtuning-disk">
--- 800,807 ----
  kern.maxfiles: 2088 -> 5000</screen>

      <para>Settings of sysctl variables are usually either strings,
!       numbers, or booleans (a  boolean being <literal>1</literal> for yes
    </sect1>

    <sect1 id="configtuning-disk">
***************
*** 815,821 ****
  	</indexterm>

! 	  defaults to 0 (off) (though soon it will default to 1) and may
  	  be set to 0 (off) or 1 (on).  This parameter controls how
  	  directories are cached by the system.  Most directories are
  	  small and use but a single fragment (typically 1K) in the
--- 818,824 ----
  	</indexterm>

! 	  defaults to 1 (on) and may
  	  be set to 0 (off) or 1 (on).  This parameter controls how
  	  directories are cached by the system.  Most directories are
  	  small and use but a single fragment (typically 1K) in the
***************
*** 884,889 ****
--- 887,896 ----
  	it is mounted.  A good time to enable Soft Updates is before any
  	partitions have been mounted, in single-user mode.</para>

+       <note><para>As of FreeBSD 4.5, it is possible to enable Soft Updates
+ 	at filesystem creation time, through use of the <literal>-U</literal>
+ 	option to &man.newfs.8;.</para></note>
+
        <para>Soft Updates drastically improves meta-data performance, mainly
          file creation and deletion, through the use of a memory cache.  We
          recommend turning Soft Updates on on all of your filesystems.  There
***************
*** 928,948 ****
  	  kind and number of services running concurrently.</para>

! 	  dictated by the <option>maxusers</option> option in your
            kernel configuration file.  <varname>kern.maxfiles</varname> grows
!           proportionally to the value of <option>maxusers</option>.  When
            compiling a custom kernel, it is a good idea to set this kernel
            configuration option according to the uses of your system.  From
            this number, the kernel is given most of its pre-defined limits.
            Even though a production machine may not actually have 256 users
            connected as once, the resources needed may be similar to a
            high-scale webserver.</para>
        </sect3>
      </sect2>
      <sect2>
        <title>Network Limits</title>

  	option dictates the amount of network mbufs available to the
  	system.  A heavily-trafficked server with a low number of MBUFs
  	will hinder FreeBSD's ability.  Each cluster represents
--- 935,961 ----
  	  kind and number of services running concurrently.</para>

! 	  dictated by the <option>MAXUSERS</option> option in your
            kernel configuration file.  <varname>kern.maxfiles</varname> grows
!           proportionally to the value of <option>MAXUSERS</option>.  When
            compiling a custom kernel, it is a good idea to set this kernel
            configuration option according to the uses of your system.  From
            this number, the kernel is given most of its pre-defined limits.
            Even though a production machine may not actually have 256 users
            connected as once, the resources needed may be similar to a
            high-scale webserver.</para>
+
+ 	  <literal>0</literal> in your kernel configuration file will choose
+ 	  a reasonable default value based on the amount of RAM present in
+ 	  your system.</para></note>
+
        </sect3>
      </sect2>
      <sect2>
        <title>Network Limits</title>

  	option dictates the amount of network mbufs available to the
  	system.  A heavily-trafficked server with a low number of MBUFs
  	will hinder FreeBSD's ability.  Each cluster represents

Patch #2 for whitespace :

*** doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/config/chapter.sgml.old	Wed Dec 19 21:09:48 2001
--- doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/config/chapter.sgml	Wed Dec 19 21:20:03 2001
***************
*** 42,49 ****
        administrative configuration of FreeBSD systems.</para>

      <para>This chapter will also describe some of the parameters that
!       can be set to tune a FreeBSD system for optimum
!       performance.</para>

      <para>After reading this chapter, you will know:</para>

--- 42,48 ----
        administrative configuration of FreeBSD systems.</para>

      <para>This chapter will also describe some of the parameters that
!       can be set to tune a FreeBSD system for optimum performance.</para>

      <para>After reading this chapter, you will know:</para>

***************
*** 82,90 ****
        </listitem>
        <listitem>
  	<para>Be familiar with keeping FreeBSD sources up to date
! 	  (<xref linkend="cutting-edge">), and
! 	  the basics of kernel configuration/compilation
! 	  (<xref linkend="kernelconfig">).</para>
        </listitem>
      </itemizedlist>
    </sect1>
--- 81,88 ----
        </listitem>
        <listitem>
  	<para>Be familiar with keeping FreeBSD sources up to date
! 	  (<xref linkend="cutting-edge">), and the basics of kernel
! 	   configuration/compilation (<xref linkend="kernelconfig">).</para>
        </listitem>
      </itemizedlist>
    </sect1>
***************
*** 116,124 ****
  	  smaller, heavily-accessed filesystems, such as root and swap,
  	  closer to the outside of the drive, while placing larger
  	  partitions, such as <filename>/usr</filename>, towards the
! 	  inner.  To do so, it is
! 	  a good idea to create partitions in a similar order: root,
! 	  swap, <filename>/var</filename>,

--- 114,121 ----
  	  smaller, heavily-accessed filesystems, such as root and swap,
  	  closer to the outside of the drive, while placing larger
  	  partitions, such as <filename>/usr</filename>, towards the
! 	  inner.  To do so, it is a good idea to create partitions in
! 	  a similar order: root, swap, <filename>/var</filename>,

***************
*** 135,153 ****

  	  of the files required to support the system and a
! 	  subdirectory within it called
! 	  <filename>/usr/local</filename> holds the bulk of the files
! 	  installed from the &man.ports.7; hierarchy.  If you do not
! 	  use ports all that much and do not intend to keep system
! 	  source (<filename>/usr/src</filename>) on the machine,
! 	  you can get away with a 1
! 	  gigabyte <filename>/usr</filename> partition.  However,
! 	  if you install a lot of
! 	  ports (especially window managers and Linux binaries), we
! 	  recommend at least a two gigabyte <filename>/usr</filename>
! 	  and if you also
! 	  intend to keep system source on the machine, we recommend a
! 	  three gigabyte <filename>/usr</filename>.  Do not
  	  underestimate the amount of space you will need in this
  	  partition, it can creep up and surprise you!</para>

--- 132,147 ----

  	  of the files required to support the system and a
! 	  subdirectory within it called <filename>/usr/local</filename>
! 	  holds the bulk of the files installed from the &man.ports.7;
! 	  hierarchy.  If you do not use ports all that much and do not
! 	  intend to keep system source (<filename>/usr/src</filename>)
! 	  on the machine, you can get away with a 1 gigabyte
! 	  <filename>/usr</filename> partition.  However, if you install
! 	  a lot of ports (especially window managers and Linux binaries),
! 	  we recommend at least a two gigabyte <filename>/usr</filename>
! 	  and if you also intend to keep system source on the machine,
! 	  we recommend a three gigabyte <filename>/usr</filename>. Do not
  	  underestimate the amount of space you will need in this
  	  partition, it can creep up and surprise you!</para>

***************
*** 157,166 ****
  	  frustration.</para>

  	<note><para>Some users who have used &man.sysinstall.8;'s
! 	    <literal>Auto-defaults</literal> partition sizer have found
! 	    either their root or <filename>/var</filename> partitions too
! 	    small later on.  Partition wisely and
! 	    generously.</para></note>

        </sect3>

--- 151,159 ----
  	  frustration.</para>

  	<note><para>Some users who have used &man.sysinstall.8;'s
! 	  <literal>Auto-defaults</literal> partition sizer have found
! 	  either their root or <filename>/var</filename> partitions too
! 	  small later on.  Partition wisely and generously.</para></note>

        </sect3>

***************
*** 271,284 ****

      <itemizedlist>
! <programlisting>	. rc.conf.site
! 	hostname="node15.example.com"
! 	network_interfaces="fxp0 lo0"
! 	ifconfig_fxp0="inet 10.1.1.1"</programlisting></listitem>
! <programlisting>	defaultrouter="10.1.1.254"
! 	saver="daemon"
! 	blanktime="100"</programlisting></listitem>
      </itemizedlist>

--- 264,277 ----

      <itemizedlist>
! <programlisting>. rc.conf.site
! hostname="node15.example.com"
! network_interfaces="fxp0 lo0"
! ifconfig_fxp0="inet 10.1.1.1"</programlisting></listitem>
! <programlisting>defaultrouter="10.1.1.254"
! saver="daemon"
! blanktime="100"</programlisting></listitem>
      </itemizedlist>

***************
*** 288,295 ****

      <para>Upgrading the system using &man.sysinstall.8;
        or <command>make world</command> will not overwrite the
!       <filename>rc.conf</filename>
!       file, so system configuration information will not be lost.</para>

    </sect1>

--- 281,288 ----

      <para>Upgrading the system using &man.sysinstall.8;
        or <command>make world</command> will not overwrite the
!       <filename>rc.conf</filename> file, so system configuration
!       information will not be lost.</para>

    </sect1>

***************
*** 312,320 ****
      <para>Normally, when a port or package is installed, sample
        configuration files are also installed.  These are usually
        identified with a <quote>.default</quote> suffix.  If there
!       are no existing
!       configuration files for the application, they will be created by
!       copying the .default files.</para>

      <para>For example, consider the contents of the directory
--- 305,312 ----
      <para>Normally, when a port or package is installed, sample
        configuration files are also installed.  These are usually
        identified with a <quote>.default</quote> suffix.  If there
!       are no existing configuration files for the application,
!       they will be created by copying the .default files.</para>

      <para>For example, consider the contents of the directory
***************
*** 352,364 ****
        <filename>/usr/local/etc/rc.d</filename> which is invoked at
        system startup with a <option>start</option> argument, and at
        system shutdown with a <option>stop</option> argument.
!       This is the recommended way for
!       starting system-wide services that are to be run as
!       <username>root</username>, or that
        expect to be started as <username>root</username>.
!       These scripts are registered as
!       part of the installation of the package, and will be removed
!       when the package is removed.</para>

      <para>A generic startup script in
--- 344,354 ----
        <filename>/usr/local/etc/rc.d</filename> which is invoked at
        system startup with a <option>start</option> argument, and at
        system shutdown with a <option>stop</option> argument.
!       This is the recommended way for starting system-wide services
!       that are to be run as <username>root</username>, or that
        expect to be started as <username>root</username>.
!       These scripts are registered as part of the installation of the
!       package, and will be removed when the package is removed.</para>

      <para>A generic startup script in
***************
*** 379,386 ****
          ;;
  esac

! exit 0
!     </programlisting>

        at startup, and the <option>stop</option> at shutdown to allow
--- 369,375 ----
          ;;
  esac

! exit 0</programlisting>

        at startup, and the <option>stop</option> at shutdown to allow
***************
*** 405,412 ****
        <filename>/etc/rc.conf</filename>.  To start daemons, or
        run any commands at boot time, place a script in
!     </note>

      <para>It is also possible to use the &man.cron.8; daemon to start
        system services.  This approach has a number of advantages, not
--- 394,400 ----
        <filename>/etc/rc.conf</filename>.  To start daemons, or
        run any commands at boot time, place a script in

      <para>It is also possible to use the &man.cron.8; daemon to start
        system services.  This approach has a number of advantages, not
***************
*** 416,424 ****

      <para>This takes advantage of a feature of &man.cron.8;: the
        time specification may be replaced by <literal>@reboot</literal>,
!       which will
!       cause the job to be run when &man.cron.8; is started shortly after
!       system boot.</para>
    </sect1>

    <sect1 id="configtuning-virtual-hosts">
--- 404,411 ----

      <para>This takes advantage of a feature of &man.cron.8;: the
        time specification may be replaced by <literal>@reboot</literal>,
!       which will cause the job to be run when &man.cron.8; is started
!       shortly after system boot.</para>
    </sect1>

    <sect1 id="configtuning-virtual-hosts">
***************
*** 434,441 ****

        and may have any number of <quote>alias</quote> addresses.
!       These aliases are
!       normally added by placing alias entries in

--- 421,427 ----

        and may have any number of <quote>alias</quote> addresses.
!       These aliases are normally added by placing alias entries in

***************
*** 445,452 ****

      <para>Note that alias entries must start with alias0 and proceed
        upwards in order, (for example, _alias1, _alias2, and so on).
!       The configuration process will stop at the first missing number.
!     </para>

      <para>The calculation of alias netmasks is important, but
        fortunately quite simple.  For a given interface, there must be
--- 431,437 ----

      <para>Note that alias entries must start with alias0 and proceed
        upwards in order, (for example, _alias1, _alias2, and so on).
!       The configuration process will stop at the first missing number.</para>

      <para>The calculation of alias netmasks is important, but
        fortunately quite simple.  For a given interface, there must be
***************
*** 464,478 ****
      <para>The following entries configure the adapter correctly for
        this arrangement:</para>

! <programlisting> ifconfig_fxp0="inet 10.1.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"
!  ifconfig_fxp0_alias0="inet 10.1.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.255"
!  ifconfig_fxp0_alias1="inet 10.1.1.3 netmask 255.255.255.255"
!  ifconfig_fxp0_alias2="inet 10.1.1.4 netmask 255.255.255.255"
!  ifconfig_fxp0_alias3="inet 10.1.1.5 netmask 255.255.255.255"
!  ifconfig_fxp0_alias4="inet 202.0.75.17 netmask 255.255.255.240"
!  ifconfig_fxp0_alias5="inet 202.0.75.18 netmask 255.255.255.255"
!  ifconfig_fxp0_alias6="inet 202.0.75.19 netmask 255.255.255.255"
!  ifconfig_fxp0_alias7="inet 202.0.75.20 netmask 255.255.255.255"</programlisting>

    </sect1>

--- 449,463 ----
      <para>The following entries configure the adapter correctly for
        this arrangement:</para>

! <programlisting>ifconfig_fxp0="inet 10.1.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"
! ifconfig_fxp0_alias0="inet 10.1.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.255"
! ifconfig_fxp0_alias1="inet 10.1.1.3 netmask 255.255.255.255"
! ifconfig_fxp0_alias2="inet 10.1.1.4 netmask 255.255.255.255"
! ifconfig_fxp0_alias3="inet 10.1.1.5 netmask 255.255.255.255"
! ifconfig_fxp0_alias4="inet 202.0.75.17 netmask 255.255.255.240"
! ifconfig_fxp0_alias5="inet 202.0.75.18 netmask 255.255.255.255"
! ifconfig_fxp0_alias6="inet 202.0.75.19 netmask 255.255.255.255"
! ifconfig_fxp0_alias7="inet 202.0.75.20 netmask 255.255.255.255"</programlisting>

    </sect1>

***************
*** 499,511 ****
  	    <row>
  	      <entry>Extra &man.sendmail.8; configuration, other
! 		MTA configuration files.
! 	      </entry>
  	    </row>
  	    <row>
! 	      <entry>Configuration for both user- and kernel-ppp programs.
! 	      </entry>
  	    </row>
  	    <row>
--- 484,494 ----
  	    <row>
  	      <entry>Extra &man.sendmail.8; configuration, other
! 		MTA configuration files.</entry>
  	    </row>
  	    <row>
! 	      <entry>Configuration for both user- and kernel-ppp programs.</entry>
  	    </row>
  	    <row>
***************
*** 752,760 ****

  	<filename>rc.conf</filename>.  Values are set in a
! 	<literal>variable=value</literal>
! 	form.  The specified values are set after the system goes into
! 	multi-user mode.  Not all variables are settable in this mode.</para>

  	of fatal signal exits and letting Linux programs know they are really
--- 735,743 ----

  	<filename>rc.conf</filename>.  Values are set in a
! 	<literal>variable=value</literal> form.  The specified values
! 	are set after the system goes into multi-user mode.  Not all
! 	variables are settable in this mode.</para>

  	of fatal signal exits and letting Linux programs know they are really
***************
*** 818,833 ****
  	</indexterm>

! 	  defaults to 1 (on) and may
! 	  be set to 0 (off) or 1 (on).  This parameter controls how
! 	  directories are cached by the system.  Most directories are
! 	  small and use but a single fragment (typically 1K) in the
! 	  filesystem and even less (typically 512 bytes) in the buffer
! 	  cache.  However, when operating in the default mode the buffer
! 	  cache will only cache a fixed number of directories even if
! 	  you have a huge amount of memory.  Turning on this sysctl
! 	  allows the buffer cache to use the VM Page Cache to cache the
! 	  directories.  The advantage is that all of memory is now
  	  available for caching directories.  The disadvantage is that
  	  the minimum in-core memory used to cache a directory is the
  	  physical page size (typically 4K) rather than 512 bytes.  We
--- 801,815 ----
  	</indexterm>

! 	  defaults to 1 (on) and may be set to 0 (off) or 1 (on).
! 	  This parameter controls how directories are cached by the
! 	  system.  Most directories are small and use but a single fragment
! 	  (typically 1K) in the filesystem and even less (typically 512