Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 1996 13:37:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@freenet.hamilton.on.ca>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
Cc:        Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@freenet.hamilton.on.ca>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD keyboard

On Tue, 16 Jul 1996, Greg Lehey wrote:

> Tim Vanderhoek writes:
> > maybe your hands are in some way dysfunctional?  :)
>
> what makes you assume it's my hands?  hands up all those people with
> three 4" fingers on any hand.

uh! uh!  Pick me!  Pick me!

> > if you follow the `xsw2' up a little bit, you'll find it ends up on
> > f1 on most keyboards (i expect).
>
> on my keyboard it lands between f2 and f3.

I checked all four keyboards in this house, and on each one it definately
lands just to the left of F1.

> > what on earth are you doing here!?  you can't possibly be using the
> > finger beside your thumb (the forefinger) to hit the ctrl!?  that's
> > ludicrous!  you have to hit the <ctrl> with the bottom of the knuckle of
> > your pinkie finger.
>
> by pinkie you mean little finger, do you?  ok, i tried that.  with
> *great* difficulty i managed to avoid pushing down tab or shift, got
> my thumb on alt, and managed to get my middle finger on f2, but i
> couldn't get f1 at all.

The only one that I find is difficult to hit is F5, which is conveniently
placed just where neither the right nor left hand can get to it.

> >> it hurts.
> >
> > no.  what hurts is twisting one's hand to hit the arrow keys, which are
> > stupidly placed far enough to the right that you can't hit them without
> > twisting your wrist in ways it's certainly not meant to be.
>
> who was talking about the arrow keys?  on the whole, i don't have a
> problem with them.  they're useful when you're browsing.  when you're
> typing, there's no reason to use them.

I'm using them at the moment with this dumb Pico editor for Pine.  It's
not so terrible.  Where they're really annoying is when I want bash to
backup through the commandline history of bash (now that I think about
it, there's probably another way to do that (making mental note to look
into it, now)).

> >> this must be the problem.  i never thought i had short fingers, but my
> >> forefinger is 7.8 cm (3 1/16") long, my middle finger is 8.7 cm (3
> >> 1/2"), and my ring finger is 8 cm (3 1/4"), if that's relevant to this
> >> discussion.
> >
> > well, my fingers are 10, 11, 10.5, and 7cm from index to pinkie
> > respectively.  i suppose this could be part of your problem... ;)
>
> or of yours.  i don't know anybody with fingers that long.

Maybe you're measuring them wrongly.  The following is the correct way to
measure your finger...  :)

Palm down.  Measure the side of your hand without a palm.  There should
be a light wrinkle.  On the palm side of your hand, the crease goes
around to the top of your hand forming the light wrinkle.  The light
wrinkly will end up ~2.5mm towards your wrist from the start of the
crease.  Measure from the light crinkle to the very tip of your finger.
On the other fingers, the crease is not so easy to follow, but the light
crinkle is still apparent.  Because the tip of your finger is often not
directly against the tape measure, one has to be doubly careful to avoid
the error of paralax.

That is the official and proper way to measure a finger.  :) :)

> > I just can't see myself hit the F keys on the left nearly as easily as
> > when they're up at the top.  Have to twist my wrist quite nastily.
>
> Try moving it to the left.  Then they're under your fingers.

Moving your whole arm from the elbow on is time consuming and tiresome.
To be avoided wherever possible (esp. when moving mice).

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk