Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 1999 09:22:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        angrick@netdirect.net, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wierd SCSI problems

>From: "Andy Angrick" <angrick@netdirect.net>
>Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 09:59:25 -0500

>I have an intermittent SCSI problem that doesn't seem to have a pattern. I'm
>using 2.2.8.-RELEASE, adaptec 2940UW SCSI controller, and 2 compaq DGHS18Y
>18GB SCSI drives (separate drives...no mirrors or RAID. Second drive is
>mounted as /usr2). They have a 50-68 pin convertor on both of them. my
>connector has 3 ends..3rd end is connected to an active terminator.

At this point, even a crude ASCII diagram, showing the termination
points, as well as active components on the SCSI chain, would be
helpful.

>The problem is that the system locks up and stops responding spiratically.

>Anyone have a clue as to what might be going on? If it was a cable issue,
>you'd think that it would either work or it wouldn't.....

No, I wouldn't think that.  I would first suspect termination or cable.

Each signal line needs to be terminated at each of its 2 ends.  (The
purpose is to reduce the strength of signals that are reflected off the
end -- think of looking in a store window on a sunny day.)

Don't forget to to check the termination on the host adaptor.

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com		UNIX System Administrator
voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (888) 347-0197	FAX: (650) 372-5915