Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 02:29:03 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Isaac Waldron" <iwaldron@WPI.EDU>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X11 Sessions over Network

Isaac Waldron writes:
> This probably isn't the right list to ask, but I can't think of another
> place to ask it.  My desktop is running FreeBSD 4.1 Stable from late last
> week, and I already have XFree-3.3.6 installed and setup.  My university has
> Maple installed on their servers.  Is there a way I can use my machine as an
> X terminal to one of their servers so that I can run Maple from my desktop
> without going to a lab?

That depends. If maple is an X application, and you have an account
you can connect to (via ssh, telnet, rlogin, or something similar) on
the servers, then the answer is yes. Just set the environment variable
DISPLAY back to the machine you are sitting at, and then run
Maple. Done.

Note that it's not at all unusual for ssh to be configured to set the
DISPLAY variable for you automatically.

	<mike