Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 1995 10:04:20 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE

As Ollivier Robert wrote:

> [ redirected to chat ]
>
> It seems that Faried Nawaz said:
> > 1.0?!?  gimme!  :)
> >
> > faried, 1.0 -> 1.1-g -> 1.1.5.1 -> 2.0 -> 2.0.5 -> current
>
> Only 1.0 ?
>
> I started with 386BSD 0.1 patchkit 0.2.3, 0.2.4 then moved to FreeBSD after
> the Great Flame War(tm) of 1993 which gave us FreeBSD and NetBSD...

Well, but then you've been missing the most funny piece: 386BSD 0.0!

Not only that it didn't know anything about FDISK partitions (why
should it?  after all, it was just BSD, used to occupy an entire disk
all the time...), but following the advise ``Don't forget to run make
depend.'' after config'ing a new kernel was fatal. :-O  It reproducibly
caused a page fault, since some string space in the execve code was too
small to handle the long argument list.

Despite of panicking all over the place, i've been impressed about the
stability of the file system however.  I've never lost a single file
(unlike with some SysV i've been using previously).

--
cheers, J"org