Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 1997 03:44:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        hoek@hwcn.org
Cc:        jmb@FreeBSD.ORG, softweyr@xmission.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTC regulating use of registrations

Tim Vanderhoek wrote:

> Hmm...  I'm not sure how it works in the US, but in this
> particular province here, those going to a private or religious
> school find themselves paying twice, once for the public system,
> and then again for themselves.  Would a change to the tax system
> so that those going to a separate system pay only the difference
> twice seem reasonable to you?  (ie. if one normally had to pay 7$
> to the public system, but one currently had children privately
> educated, paying 10$, one would pay only the difference, 3$, to
> the public system).
>
> Incidentally, if you say "No, this is not reasonable; people
> going to a private school have tons of money to spare, anyways",
> I will be tempted to yell at you very loudly.

	currently, you have to pay twice.  taxes to support the local
	public school system and then tuition to the private school.
	yes, it is hard on families, i am currently paying over $10k
	a year to private schools.   one way of easing the burden is
	to restore the personal tax exemption to the value it had
	in the 1950's....if i reember correctly that would be
	nearly $10k rather than the current amount of $2500

	the tax revenue would have to be recovered eslsewhere.
	removing all "special interest tax breaks" would b a good
	start.
jmb