Date:      Sat, 18 Oct 2008 14:55:32 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: pfSense

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 02:44:57PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> 	I've been using the FBSD firewall pfSense since last January
> 	without fully understanding it.  Now I'm getting some clues as to
> 	one *possibility* why my new laptop may not be working.  --It is
> 	more probably a hardware fauly, but maybe somebody can clue me in
> 	How both my wife and my daughter and I (with my new ThinkPad G41)
> 	were given IP's _within_ the "Range" that was set up.
>
> 	My private IP's are listed as
>
> 	10.47.0.0 -- 10.47.0.255
>
> 	and my Range is listed as
>
> 	10.47.0.101 to 10.47.0.120.  The "Range" is described on one
> 	site:
>
> 	   You will need to set the Range of the DHCP server which
> 	   will regulate how many IP addresses you will give out.
>
> 	My wife's Dell XP has 10.47.0.119; daughter's Macbook is
> 	10.47.0.115; and when I clicked around and made my daughter's
> 	computer IP "static", pfSense gave me an error.  It said that
> 	it was incorrectly within the "Range".  How can I change/edit it
> 	so that it is outside the range?  I would like everything
> 	possible to be set in concrete.  Will pfSense pick an IP outside
> 	the range?

You should ask this on the pfSense mailing list, but, I will answer
your question regardless -- but I make the assumption the DHCP server
used in pfSense is ISC dhcpd.

You *cannot* include static IPs (in this case, "static IP" means an IP
address that is always returned for a specific MAC address) within the
"dynamic pool".  ISC dhcpd will not let you do this, and for good
reasons (you can read the docs if you want the answer).

Instead, you should give your wire and daughter's machines IPs outside
of the "dynamic pool" range, e.g. 10.47.0.121 and upwards.  This
will work fine.