Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:49:14 +0200
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, ports@FreeBSD.org, Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
Subject:   Re: new message digest support in pkgsrc (fwd)

Trevor Johnson wrote:

> > > I'd like to see:
> > > - the 160-byte hashes permitted (not required) in the distinfo file.
> > > - a "makesum" target which generates all three hashes, using openssl.
> > > - a "checksum" target which uses whichever hashes exist in distinfo.
> >
> > All this applies only if we presume that the checksum checking has any strong security associated with
> > it. I have strong doubts about that, because:
> > 1. No effective attack scheme has been shown yet;
>
> A scheme has been described which is computationally expensive but not
> infeasible.  See the references I gave.

I did not mean md5 attack, I meant scheme of attack using trojaned distfile specially tailored in such a way
that its md5 checksum matches original one. This attack while possible in principle, but have the following
difficulties, that turn its possibility close to 0:

- attacker should specially tailor trojaned distfile to have the same checksum as original one (md5 attack);

- attacker should put trojaned distfile onto one of the MASTER_SITES;
- attacker should ensure somehow that the victim will fetch trojaned distfile from that site;
- attacker should ensure that the victim will build that package.

> Perhaps you mean that we should wait for black-hat hackers to demonstrate
> the ineffectiveness of MD5 by conducting attacks on us.  If we knew which
> files were involved in the attack, then we could suddenly change to
> another hash, calculate the new hashes without inspecting the contents
> of each file, and be fine.  If we didn't know which files were compromised
> (for example, if the hackers didn't tell us), then we'd have a problem.
>
> > 2. I feel that it is much easier to make a new cvsup/mirror server, that will distribute fake
> > distinfo's/trojaned distfiles for selected clients, than perform costly hash search.
>
> As I said, I don't want to force anyone--porter or ports user--to
> calculate hashes they don't want to calculate.  I realize that some people
> still rely on '386 computers, and that FreeBSD needs to run on those.  I
> acknowledge that there are other attacks which (at least now) are probably
> much easier than the one I described.  If it's practical, those should be
> addressed as well.  Their existence is not a reason not to adopt longer
> hashes, any more than the existence of bad drivers on the roadways is a
> reason not to drive carefully or wear a seat belt, or even both at the
> same time.

Well, in my view another analogy is more appropriate here: existence of air bags doesn't mean that they
should be installed on each transportation device, even where it could not help anyway, say bicycle, air
plane, motorcycle and so on.

-Maxim