Date:      Fri, 8 Sep 2000 13:18:13 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
To:        Ramses Smeyers <fatman@khk.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: useripacct

[ ...brought over to freebsd-net... ]

On Fri, 8 Sep 2000, Ramses Smeyers wrote:

> > ipfw(8) in FreeBSD can count packets/bytes based on uid and gid (based
> > on local socket credentials.)
>
> are we then talking about a rule for every user?, and can this system be
> used as disk quota, so with hard and soft quota (like
> useripacct) does. The aim of the useripacct patch is to give a user 200MB
> traffic for one month, and let their traffic block after those 200MB are
> used. To implement this in freebsd, do I have to place a rule for every
> user, this is like not scalable, and is their a daemon available to
> control the IP flow and block users if it has to be done ?

ipfw doesn't implement quotas, but yes you would have to have a
separate rule for each uid/gid -- agreed, not so efficient for ipfw to
do.

BTW, this topic has been brushed by the freebsd-net crowd before, so
you might want to arm yourself :) and browse the freebsd-net mail
archive first (try keywords like "ipfw", "quota", ...)

   http://www.freebsd.org/search/search.html

Other than that, I can imagine an optional external daemon similar to
natd(8) which enforces network quotas via a "divert" ipfw rule.
Whether or not network quotas are a good thing(tm) is a whole other
question all together... :)

-Paul.