Date:      Fri, 07 Oct 2005 09:45:54 -0400
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        John Conover <conover@rahul.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Security risk associated with a NIC's promiscuous mode?

John Conover wrote:
> Is there any security risk associated with a NIC's promiscuous mode
> while running tcpdump and/or arpwatch?

A mild one.  For example, I believe there was recently a security bug in
tcpdump's string handling which could be exploited by tcpdump seeing a
maliciously-crafted packet.  Running the NIC in promisc mode means that packet
just has to go by, rather than being sent specificly to the machine running the
sniffer...

In other words, it's not a great idea to run a sniffer on your most important
fileserver or whatever, rather than an isolated laptop or other test system.

--
-Chuck