Date:      Wed, 22 May 2002 13:21:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Manish Jain <jain@sirius.pc.cis.udel.edu>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   sendto syscall

Hello,

I am working on a bandwidth measurment tool where I need
to send udp packets with fixed interspacing.
For this purpose, I am trying to measure the latency of sendto syscall.

In one experiment, I set the socket buffer ( both send and receive )
equal to the size of the packet for that experiment ( 512 bytes in
that case). Then I do (several) pair of back-to-back sendto and measure
their latency using gettimeofday.
I repeat the same experiment with a very high value of socket buffer.
In first case (socket buffer = pkt size ), I was expecting to see the
latecny of second sendto higher  relatively to first one since second
sendto would block.
In the second case , the latency of two sendto should have been of
same order.

The results of the experiment donot show any trend in the first case
nor in the second case.

Does anyone have any first thoughts on this ?
Does the sendto return after copying the data from
user space to kernal space or returns after the packet leaves
the interface card ?

Thanks,

manish
http://www.cis.udel.edu/~jain