Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 1995 21:15:21 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de, peter@bonkers.taronga.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any reason we can't enable the bus mouse by default?

: Perl, OTOH, is slow and bloated, and its syntax is merely incomprehensible.

I don't think we want to get into a flame war about syntax here.  Both
can be incomprehensible, and neither are the best syntax for
representing a kernel configuration.  Personally, I love Perl's syntax
and find TCL an utter nightmare, but I know that others differ.

Personally, I really like the current config files.  Maybe I'm weird,
but they are useful, and a lot more "portable" from machine to machine
than the way Linux, say, generates kernels (or did in the 1.1.x
timeframe).

That's not to say that a tool couldn't be written in perl or tcl.
However, unless one of these is in bindist, I'd argue loudly and
strongly that you don't want to rely on external, non-standard tools
to generate something as basic as a kernel.

m4 isn't bad, imho.  Given what it has done with the sendmail.cf file
mess, I think it might be a fruitful path to follow.  The syntax might
be ugly, true, but it would have the advantage of working on a fairly
minimal system.

Just my two cents.

Warner