Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 1996 00:29:41 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Cc:        kallio@cc.jyu.fi (Seppo Kallio)
Subject:   Re: Writing CD ROM - tools for FreeBSD?

As Seppo Kallio wrote:

> 	1. Could I get some examples of tested CD ROM writer models
> 	   running with FreeBSD. Or are PLASMON, RF4100, HP and 4020i
> 	   the ones? Are the new sheap models supported?

They are the only ones.  UTSL.  Adding a new one is not very
complicated.  Use send-pr to submit your changes.

> 	2. What about audio CDs. Wormcontrol mentions "fixate
> 	   toc-type" 0 as CD audio. There is also CDI.

Nobody (not that i knew) has been testing audio CDs by now.  Our cdrom
driver doesn't know about CD-DA either.

> 	3. Can I make a copy of CD ROM using dd if=/dev/rcdrom or
> 	   something like that? Even from Audio CD or CDI?

dd will quickly starve, since it can do only one thing (input _or_
output) at a time.  Trust me, i've tried it.  Use team.

I wouldn't risk burning it from a CD directly, though it seems like it
might be possible.  I've donated an entire 1.8 GB disk to hold the CD
images...  Use at your own risk, and keep us posted.  Hey, that's how
all this is working here!

--
cheers, J"org