Date:      Sun, 12 May 1996 12:04:55 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: cvs commit:  src/sys/i386/isa syscons.c

(moved to -current)

As Bruce Evans wrote:

> >  Give up waiting for a successful keyboard reset after some
> >  unreasonable time.  I've got a PCI mainboard that simply doesn't grok
> >  it, so continuing with a warning (and a keyboard that's working
> >  nevertheless :) seems to be better than spin-looping forever.
>
> Does it work if you fix the well known `!retries' logic bug (the infinite
> loop always gets entered if the first loop fails (retries == -1)).

No, retries were at 4 when the probe went on.  (Well, damn, i could
have fixed the retries bug in the same commit.)

I've single-stepped the code in DDB, and this keyboard controller
always responded with ``keyboard buffer empty'' (first infinite loop)
and the byte 0xfa was fetched (KB_ACK, second infinite loop).

It suprised me a bit, since it was just an AMIKEY-2 controller as i've
seen it working on many other boards before.  Alas, the chip has been
soldered in (and the board itself was a loaner to me only to debug
this problem -- so i couldn't use a soldering iron :), so replacing it
was not an option for me.

> I have a keyboard with a partly broken cable or connector which causes
> interesting problems for keyboard drivers.  The BIOS keyboard driver
> seems to handle transient disconnections better than syscons.  Perhaps
> it issues a reset when the keyboard stops working.

Perhaps the BIOS reacts properly to the 0xaa (SELF TEST OKAY) message
that is sent when the keyboard plugs in, and re-initializes the
keyboard.

--
cheers, J"org