Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 1995 20:03:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@kryten.Atinc.COM>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.1.0-RELEASE now available!

On Mon, 20 Nov 1995, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Well, I think we can set some minimum standards here, at least, so that
> anyone wishing to send me a DNS entry knows what to do *first* before
> contacting me:
>
> 	1. The host for <dom>.freebsd.org should use majordomo to manage
> 	   its list(s) so that sending mail to majordomo@<dom>.freebsd.org
> 	   can be assumed to work with the same syntax (we should probably
> 	   even agree to run the same version of majordomo everwhere).

	unless there are strong objections, i would prefer that all sites
use majodomo-1.92 with perl-4.036 and the patches that are available for
majordomo-1.92.

	i will create a port|package this week.

	bulk_mailer is also available as are peter's new mail queuing
software programs/scripts.

> 	3. The host should subscribe its regional mailing lists to the
> 	   main lists on freebsd.org, and those subscribers directly on the
> 	   main lists should move their subscriptions to the regional
> 	   contact point as soon as it's convenient.

	i have not yet had a chance to play with a source-routing
traceroute or to sendmail to myself by way of two sites in, say,
australia.  i have heard horror stories about non-us
connectivity--several nets in one country reach each other by way of the
usa.  is this really teh case ??

	if so regional majordomo's need to reflect the net topology more
closely than a simple divison along political boundaries.

Jonathan M. Bresler  jmb@kryten.atinc.com       | Analysis & Technology, Inc.
FreeBSD Postmaster   jmb@FreeBSD.Org            | 2341 Jeff Davis Hwy
play go.                                        | Arlington, VA 22202
ride bike. hack FreeBSD.--ah the good life      | 703-418-2800 x346