Date:      Thu, 9 Aug 2001 21:54:43 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Wing Tim <twchim1@hotmail.com>
Cc:        alex@big-blue.net, bwatts@corp.netcom.ca, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Snoop configuration

Wing Tim wrote to alex@big-blue.net:

> Hi,
>   Thank you very much! The snoop has started in my machine.
>   After typing "sh MAKEDEV snp0", it asked me to enter a device name, what
> should I input? I input "snp0" but the error "watch: fatal: cannot attach to
> tty" occurs. What does that "device name" mean actually? Is that the device
> that buffers data?
>   By the way, according to my understanding, snoop protocol is something
> that buffering data in a certain device. Does snoop in FreeBSD have similar
> function?

Hi Wing,

Now that you've got the devices created, you need to tell watch(8) which
tty you want to snoop on. It helps if you run the command "who" (or
"finger", or "w" if you prefer), to see who is on-line, and on which ttys.

root# who
root             ttyv0   Aug  8 12:03
ryan             ttyv1   Aug  8 10:09
ryan             ttyv3   Jul 27 10:41
darren		 ttyp0   Aug  7 13:31
wayne            ttyp1   Aug  5 17:43

If you want to snoop on darren, who is logged on to "ttyp0", just enter
"ttyp0" as the device to snoop in watch(8):

root# watch ttyp0

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon