Date:      Mon, 08 Apr 1996 17:07:54 -0400
From:      Matt Midboe <midboe@hiwaay.net>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: User PPP will not login all the way

At 11:52 AM 4/8/96 -0700, you wrote:
>On Sun, 7 Apr 1996, Matt Midboe wrote:
>
>> Okay I've been trying to setup user ppp for autologin with my ppp
>> account. I am dialing into an ascend max and have tried doing this
>> with a script and doing this with PAP either one gets me the same
>> result. Here is what I get from the login route:
>> [...some login stuff deleted...]
>> The thing that seems to be causing me all the problems are these two
>> lines:
>> 04-07 21:44:36 [429] lcp: state change initial --> closed
>> 04-07 21:44:36 [429] lcp: state change closed --> stopped
>
>The remote bailed out on you.  lcp is Link Control Protocol, and if it's
>not open, you don't have a connection.
>
>Is your modem bailing out on you at that point?

My modem continues to stay connected just fine. The thing that boggles me
is that I can do the same login procedure in the kernel pppd program and it
will get logged in okay. One thing I know that may be a bit odd is that the
other side is sending some extra information for unknown protocol 80fd (I
think or something close to that). Would that extra bit be causing problems
in user ppp that kernel pppd can get around?

>Try to figure out why your remote is hanging up on you.  Are you
>forgetting to use PAP or CHAP authentication when it is necessary?

I have trying doing it with a login script that does everything. I've tried
doing it without a login script and having pap enabled/chap disabled and
having it just send those things at the Login: prompt the way I do under
win95. Neither method seems to get me logged in. Also doesn't it have to
get past authentication to get to lcp?

Matt
midboe@hiwaay.net