Date:      Wed, 27 May 1998 08:27:16 +0800 (GMT)
From:      Michael Robinson <robinson@public.bta.net.cn>
To:        mike@smith.net.au
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bug in wd driver

> Mike Smith writes:
>Actually, an interrupt timeout is not a "recoverable hardware fault".
>This is a basic failure in the driver:controller protocol on the part
>of the drive.

If this is a basic failure, why does the driver continue to function
normally for other processes, and for access to other sectors of the
same partition, at the same time it has succumbed to a non-recoverable
error?

If an interrupt times out, it is the responsibility of the driver to
detect the timeout, and return an error to the requesting system call.
This did not happen, so I reported a bug.

>Disk metadata damage that causes the drive firmware to fail doesn't
>strike me as "minor" in any common usage of the term.

Minor, in the sense that only seven sectors were affected out of an
otherwise perfectly healthy filesystem, and metadata at that.  Had
bad144 been functional, I could have remapped the sectors, fsck'd,
recovered the orphaned files, and been on my merry way.

Instead, I stuck with a major partition reallocation project.

	-Michael Robinson