Date:      Mon, 27 May 2013 09:36:20 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-ports-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The vim port needs a refresh

RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com> writes:

> On Fri, 24 May 2013 17:23:18 -0400
> Kenta Suzumoto wrote:
>

>> - It fetches almost 700 patches from what seems like a dial-up
>> connection in AUSTRALIA.
>>
>> You might as well be downloading a 1080p movie from a rock in the
>> north pole, because that's about how fast it is. This can be very
>> easily avoided by putting all the patches into a single tarball and
>> hosting it anywhere decent. I've seen someone in ##freebsd on
>> freenode handing out a tarball with all the patches many times, and
>> everyone asks "why isn't this the default? why is some random guy
>> giving me distfiles?" etc. Seems like a no-brainer.
>
> I prefer it the way it is; those patch files are cached in the
> distfiles directory, so only new patches need be downloaded. I can't
> say I've ever noticed it being slow. If you roll them up into one file
> the whole thing needs to be download every time a patch is added. If you
> combine a tarball with individual newer patch, it's no better than the
> current situation with caching.

There's plenty of middle ground. Re-rolling the tarball every time a new
patch is added would definitely be worse than the current situation, but
rolling lots of long-standing patches into a much-smaller number of
collective downloads would be an improvement for some people without
hurting anyone else.

--
Rick Astley was not harmed in the making of this communication.