Date:      Sat, 1 Jan 2000 16:05:11 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        jahanur <jahanur@jjsoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Public ntp servers (was: ntpdate error)

On Friday, 31 December 1999 at 23:13:03 -0600, jahanur wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Jan 2000, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>> On Friday, 31 December 1999 at 18:53:40 -0600, jahanur wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> I need some help.
>>>
>>> I was running my ntpdate as follows:
>>>
>>> #sync our time using ntpdate ... I need to add more servers
>>> 0	0-23/6	*	*	*	root	/usr/sbin/ntpdate
>>> www.mit.edu ftp.cdrom.com >/dev/nulll
>>
>> You need to put all this on one line.  You should also change the name
>> to /dev/null or you will end up with an additional file /dev/nulll.
>> And you probably want to use [x]ntpd, not ntpdate.
>>
>>> It was working fine, but now its giving me error like this:
>>> "No suitable server is found"
>>>
>>> So could somebody tell me what will be suitabel server to check sync
>>> ntpdate.
>>
>> Check http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/servers.html.
>
> One more question.
> I have got the xntpd running but wanted to know what is ntp.drift file do.
> or what should I put in there.

It's in the xntpd man page:

     driftfile filename
             This command specifies the name of the file used to record the
             frequency offset of the local clock oscillator. If the file ex-
             ists, it is read at startup in order to set the initial frequency
             offset and then updated once per hour with the current offset
             computed by the daemon. If the file does not exist or this com-
             mand is not given, the initial frequency offset is assumed zero.
             In this case, it may take some hours for the frequency to stabi-
             lize and the residual timing errors to subside. The file contains
             a single floating point value equal to the offset in parts-per-
             million (ppm). Note that the file is updated by first writing the
             current drift value into a temporary file and then using re-
             name(2) to replace the old version. This implies that xntpd must
             have write permission for the directory the drift file is located
             in, and that file system links, symbolic or otherwise, should
             probably be avoided.

The last sentence shows, of course, that the writer doesn't really
understand what a link is.  Symbolic links may be a bad idea, but
"hard links" are the only way to have files at all.

Greg