Date:      Wed, 4 Nov 1998 00:47:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Robert G. Brown" <rgb@phy.duke.edu>
To:        Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
Cc:        Greg Herlein <gherlein@herlein.com>, eotoole@newgrange.net, mdw@cs.berkeley.edu, extreme-linux@acl.lanl.gov, beowulf@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov
Subject:   Re: Microsoft Open Source document

On Wed, 4 Nov 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Perhaps we should set up an organization like the FSF - but one
> > aimed at preserving Open Standards?  Heck, for all I know this
> > organization already exists.  Comments anyone?
>
> Contributing to the IETF and W3 consortium is probably the productive
> approach. And making sure IETF and W3 people know about the memo

Although actually the memo is kind of humorous.  If you read it just
right, it has the ring of:

o All large, cumbersome reptiles with immense calory requirements and
primitive or nonexistent homeothermic mechanisms take note:  small
mammals seem to be successfully competing with us in certain ecological
niches.  This could be serious.

o It is reasonable that these mammals are successful.  They have fur and
regulate their body temperature and hence can move around when it is
dark and cold.  They bear their young live and hence are not as
vulnerable during the gestation stage.  They reproduce relatively
rapidly, and as they care for their young a larger fraction survive to
adulthood.  Their calorie requirements are relatively modest, at least
on an individual basis.  They are a real threat.

o Since the large, bright flash occurred last month somewhere over the
horizon (followed by the earthquake), it seems to be snowing and the
plants we rely on for food are dying.  Very soon we could be cold and
hungry.

o We need to adopt a strategy of growing fur and homeothermic
regulation, but in order to compete we mush grow >>better<< fur.  Our
fur will be so good we can patent the very idea of fur and force the
little rats to wear the scales instead!  Also, we'll be so temperature
regulated that we will fairly glow with heat whereever we go, even in
the subzero artic.  Wooly snakes, hairy tyrannosaurs -- we can do it.
While we're at it, developing the ability to catch, kill, and eat small
furry mammals is definitely called for, at least until the plants come
back.

o While we work to evolve these improvements, we need to start a public
relations campaign promoting the idea that scales are beautiful, that
cold blood masks a warm heart, and that you can't be a really >>great<<
lover unless you weigh at least a ton.  Overcome by our message, the
rodents will languish and fail to reproduce while we exterminate them.

Right.

The IETF might be amused by the MS memo, but shouldn't worry as it
represents no threat.  Recent history teaches us several things.  For
one, the IETF/RFC process works amazingly well, and has proven quite
resistant to the manifold attempts of companies to dominate the
standards process or finagle proprietary advantage.  Very few originally
proprietary concepts have withstood the intense efforts of the OS/OSS
computing community to either reverse engineer (e.g. postscript ->
ghostscript) or simply ignore in favor of open/common standards.  Even
when a company DOES offer up an open standard, acceptance is far from
automatic (anybody remember NeXT's netinfo?).  Microsoft is WAY late to
this particular game -- companies like Sun, DEC, IBM, HP, SGI have all
tried, and all, for the most part, failed.

Second, Microsoft has become almost completely moribund.  Although they
do indeed hire some decent brain power and have a few areas where they
are innovative, the memo itself clearly states that they are outmanned
and outgunned a hundred to one by the collective resources of the
Internet.  They cannot win.  Microsoft hasn't contributed a really
significant original idea to computing for a long, long time.  Their
modus operandi is to wait for entrepreneurs to develop a product and
create a market.  Then they buy it or clone it and use the, um,
"interesting" market tactics under current examination in court to grab
significant market share, where "all" is the significant market share
they are most interested in.  Go down the list.  PC DOS?  Apple, CPM
were first for PC's.  Windows?  Apple, Xerox/PARC, Unix/X.  NT?  Unix
(first by far and still the overwhelming technical superior) and even
OS2.  Excel?  Lotus 123.  Microsoft's integrated compilers?  Borland's
Turbo Pascal is godfather of them all.  Explorer?  Mosaic, then
Netscape.  Where is a product MS "invented?  Power Point?  The Microsoft
Network?  Don't make me laugh.

So where is any evidence of a Microsoft threat to GNU/linux or freebsd
or OSS in general?  They can't steal it -- its free.  They can't improve
on it (as the memo suggests) -- there are ten programmers or more
already working on anything they might focus on for free for every one
they can afford to pay, and a lot of them are better coders with the
advantage of a free exchange of ideas to fuel their designs.  The GPL
hasn't been fully tested yet, but it does exist to block anything like
real theft on their part.  They cannot undersell it -- it's free.  They
cannot "split up the market" -- there is no market to split up, they
already own the entire "market" and have no idea how to go about
competing with a company like Red Hat that's nibbling away it its edges
without "owning" a single product that they can buy out or clone.

The Internet was designed to survive a nuclear war, and both the open
standards and OSS effort it has spawned are now fully integrated parts
of its self-modifying design.  It interprets non-consensual control as
damage and routes around it, and does the same thing whether the control
is of the the underlying software base that makes it work or the
hardware and wires that route the actual packets.  As a virtual space,
it is (in my romanticized view, at least:-) populated by rugged
individualists, geniuses, and idealists -- folks who would rather build
a house themselves than buy a pre-built home even if the pre-built home
was actually rather solid. The Microsoft memo was insanely optimistic
when it suggested that there was some strategy available to it that
would allow it to survive with its current corporate culture intact.
Microsoft has absolutely no chance of winning this particular battle --
they will only survive by changing.  Time to evolve hair, it's snowing
outside...

I recently encountered and purchased in a junk shop a coffee mug with
lots of cute little animals on it engaged in procreative activity in a
variety of unlikely positions.  The animals in this particular case were
-- penguins.  I'd like to give it to Linus if I ever meet him as a
symbolic representative of Bill Gates' worst nightmare:  imagine Bill,
one day, drinking coffee from a mug just like this one in his office and
suddenly grimacing as he notices and says...

"F***ing penguins..."  :-)

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb@phy.duke.edu