Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2000 15:28:07 +0100 (CET)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMP on RCC/Reliant HE/LE chipsets? (fwd)

We consider upgrading our hardware to new SMP system. Amazed by
the bug of Intel's i840 chipset in conjunction with ECC and the memory
and extreme bandwith limitiations due the memory translation hubs when
using cost effective SDRAM instaed of horrible expensive RAMBUS modules,
I look for other solutions and found some interesting informations at
ASUS and especially at TYAN. Their Thunder 2500 mainboard seems to be
really interesting because it comes with a high performance chipset
not offered by Intel. So, target OS is FreeBSD 4.0 and it should run
on a Dual-Slot I Coppermine system using this Tyan Thunder 2500 mainboard.
Does anybody has experiences with the used Reliant core chipset and FreeBSD?
My horrible experiences with so called MP Spec compliant systems and FreeBSD
makes me confused and I'm not sure whether my thoughts about this nice
RCC/Reliant architecture is suitable for FreeBSD SMP systems (see M. Smith's
comment on problems with the i840 chipset and SMP on FBSD ... :-( ).

Gruss O. Hartmann
ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de

Klimadatenserver des IPA, Universitaet Mainz
Netzwerk- und Systembetreuung