Date:      Thu, 17 May 2001 15:32:40 -0700
From:      "pan" <pan@syix.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: TX underrun, increasing TX threshold

From: "Peter" <fbsdq@yahoo.com>
Subject: TX underrun, increasing TX threshold

> What exactly does this error mean and how can I avoid it?
> [It appears while doing heavy/big file transfers between my LAN on my dc0
[linksys] ]

Newer Linksys seem to have (ADMtek AN985) chips instead of the (82c169 PNIC)
ones.
(check your boot message).
The dc0 driver never produces the underrun event with the PNIC while with
the ADMtek
it does.
What it is, bascially, is that your system could not produce data fast
enough for your
nic. There's more to it - buffer size etc, but the message says that your
system has
decided to increase the number of bytes to fill the buffer before the nic
can send.
This can occur more than once after a boot until the system and the nic are
happy with
each other - once a reset is found the messages stop and everything is ok.
if you reboot
you will see the messages again. the event occurs only within a LAN where
you have
a linespeed greater than 10Mbs - if you were only trafficking through your
gateway to
the net (via a dsl bridge/router for example) at the max linespeed of 10Mbs
you wouldn't
see the message. I bet you only see it when you reach > n x 1024kbps
linespeed within your
LAN.

I think the dc0 driver intializes the nic with too small a number of bytes -
it certainly
isn't true on the physical layer that the system hardware can't keep up with
the nic -
it's a handshaking thing.

Corrections  and additions welcome.

Pan