Date:      Sun, 21 Sep 2003 10:53:59 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Timothy Luoma <freebsd@tntluoma.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell i7500 or Toshiba 1005-S157?

--wu6d9FdQ4ohoCGf7

On Saturday, 20 September 2003 at 20:40:58 -0400, Timothy Luoma wrote:

> We have two laptops.  Currently both have WinXP on them, and I'm trying to
> decide which I'll put FreeBSD on.
>
> One is a Dell Inspiron 7500 and the other is a Toshiba 1005-S157.  I know
> that folks have gotten FreeBSD to work on the Dell, but I have not found
> much about FreeBSD and the Toshiba 1005-S157.

I'd guess that both will be OK.  But I have an Inspiron 7500, and it's
worked well with FreeBSD.  I can't say the same for some other
machines, notably the Inspiron 5100 which is supposed to have replaced
it.

> The Toshiba runs 1024x768, the Dell 1400x1050

That's why I bought my Dell.  I like the higher resolution.

> The Toshiba is a Celeron 1.06ghz, the Dell is a 650Mhz

This sounds pretty close to my machine.

If you don't mind wiping the disk of the Toshiba, it's worth trying
that first.  If you have difficulty, I'm sure you won't have with the
Inspiron.  But you won't know until you try.

Greg

--wu6d9FdQ4ohoCGf7

--wu6d9FdQ4ohoCGf7--