Date:      Sun, 19 May 2002 19:03:30 -0400
From:      Jud <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Jim Arnold <jarnold@knightridder.com>
Subject:   Re: AMD761 or KT266A advice

5/19/2002 6:31:03 PM, Jim Arnold <jarnold@knightridder.com> wrote:

>  Date:   Sun, 19 May 2002 18:31:03 -0400
>  To:     freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>
>  From:   Jim Arnold <jarnold@knightridder.com>
>  Subject:AMD761 or KT266A advice
>

>  After spending a lot of time researching various overclocking
>  websites for motherboard reviews I'm not much better off
>  than I was when I started.
>
>  Most of these sites are geared towards Windows users who
>
>  like to squeeze everything they can out of their systems to
>  play games.
>
>  I don't play computer games nor do I run windows (obviously).
>  I Googled of these chipsets and freebsd didn't
>
>  turn up much either.
>
>  My current system runs on an Epox motherboard with
>  a K6-3 400 and has been as stable as anyone could want.
>
>  I'm curious to know if anyone is running either of these chipsets
>
>  and would like to share their experience and which board
>  they run. After my research I came down to these two boards
>  for each chipset:
>
>  Epox EP-8K7A for AMD761 Chipset
>
>  Epox EP-8KHA+ for KT266A Chipset
>
>  I'm wondering how much faster a KT266A board would be
>  over an AMD761 chipset board, when, for example, it came
>  to compiling the latest Mozilla or making my world. But my overriding
>
>  concern is stability. I would be putting an Athlon XP 1500, 1600 or
1700
>  in this system.
>
>  Thanks for any help.
>
>  Jim

I've used FreeBSD happily on both chipsets within the past several
months - ASUS A7M266 (AMD 761) and ASUS A7V-266E (KT266A).  I
got the A7V-266E because of onboard RAID, not due to any problems
at all with the A7M266.  Re: speed, I doubt the chipset would make any
noticeable difference on the tasks you mentioned.  Since the KT266A is
a slightly newer chipset and is much more a mass market product (VIA
would of course like to rule the chipset world; AMD produces chipsets
like the AMD 761 almost more as "proofs of concept" than as
commercial products), there *may* be more BIOS upgrades, etc.,
available in the future for KT266A boards than AMD 761 boards.

If there are online manuals available for the boards you're looking at, I'd
review those thoroughly to see if one board has a feature you want that
the other doesn't.  Also, cooling is very important for Athlons - check
compatibility of any heatsinks you're considering using with these
boards.  Another bit of research I highly recommend is to read through
the Epox message lists (and those of any other company whose boards
you're evaluating) to see how many and what types of user questions
and complaints there are about them.

Jud