Date:      06 Nov 1999 12:22:09 -0500
From:      Kevin Street <street@iname.com>
To:        Greg Skouby <gskouby@ns0.sitesnow.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum setup

Greg Skouby <gskouby@ns0.sitesnow.com> writes:

> Yeah, I already have freebsd installed and running on da4. I just want to
> use da0-da3 in a raid-5 array. However, I do not know how to make the
> disks da0-da3 have the file system type of vinum instead of UFS.
> Thanks..bye

It's easiest to use sysinstall to set up partitions on the disks
first.  If you're going to use the whole disk, then just
set up a single partition on it.

Then use `disklabel -e da0' to just change the fstype from
4.2BSD to vinum for the partitions that you want to give to vinum.
disklabel -e will bring up the partition table in a text editor so you can
just change it.  If you set up a single partition you'll see two in
disklabel - a "c" partition and eg. an "e" partition covering the same
space.  Leave the c partition alone and change the e partition fstype
to vinum.
--
Kevin Street
street@iname.com