Date:      Fri, 04 Aug 2000 14:42:06 -0400
From:      Mark <mark@monmouth.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Network Connectivity Loss - Part2

Hello,

Hopefully someone can help with this strange problem. (posted once before
but now with more info)
I am running FreeBSD 3.4 which is connected to a Cisco Catalyst 1900
Every so often, I lose connectivity to this FreeBsd BOX for know apparent
reason.
I have replaced the NIC (same and different brands) and also the CAT5 cable.
I have forced the NICs to 10BaseT half and full duplex and also auto
negotiate with the same effect.
Until today, I was never at the console when it happened.
Well, once I saw the FreeBsd box go down, I went to the console.
It stayed down until I pinged (from the FreeBsd box out) something on the
network.
As soon as I did that, my outside monitor was able to ping the box again.
I have been able to do this 3 times so far all with the same results.

Now I tried a test, I added another NIC to the FreeBSD box and connected
that to a hub which then went to
a stand alone machine.(private IP's) Well I started a ping to the FreeBsd
box which stays live even when the connection
to the FreeBSD box via the Catalyst fails. So, this has me  leaning towards
a combination of the OS vs the Catalyst as the problem.

If anyone has had this problem or could suggest something to try and
correct this situation I would really appreciate hearing from you.

Thank you

Mark