Date:      Fri, 3 Apr 2009 20:40:02 +0200
From:      Sylvestre Gallon <ccna.syl@gmail.com>
To:        Kamlesh Patel <achyutkamlesh@yahoo.co.in>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GSoC 2009 Project proposal Review

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 7:52 PM, Kamlesh Patel <achyutkamlesh@yahoo.co.in> w=
rote:
> Hi,

> am applying for a FreeBSD Project =93NAND Flash driver support=94 in GSoC=
 2009. I got this group id from M. Warner Losh.
> I have a schedule how i am planning to finish this project in summer. Cou=
ld anyone please tell me if the estimated time of the tasks or dependencies=
 between the tasks are not correct or need modification?

> April 20-May 23:=A0=A0=A0 Study FreeBSD driver APIs and NAND command sets
> May 23-June 6:=A0=A0=A0=A0 Write FreeBSD driver skeleton for GEOM driver.
> June 7-June 13:=A0=A0=A0 Implement probe and attach routines. Implement G=
EOM ioctls suck that diskinfo will work on the device

> June 14-June 20:=A0 Implement ECC routines
> June 21-July 4:=A0=A0=A0=A0 Implement and test read support
> July 5-July 11:=A0=A0=A0 =A0 Implement and test write support
> July 13:=A0=A0=A0 =A0=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0=A0 Mid term evaluation of progre=
ss
> July 12-July 25:=A0=A0 Implement bad block support
> July 26-Aug 15:=A0=A0 Get ufs working on the flash device, tune performan=
ce.
> Aug 16-Aug 22:=A0=A0 Write man page for driver
> Aug 24th=A0=A0=A0 =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 Final evalution
>
> Thank you in advance
> Kamlesh
> MS CS CSUS

Hi,

I am not a FreeBSD developer but I have got some interest in Nandflash
and I've got some question for you. I found this topic interesting.

How do you plan to implement this driver : do you want to develop only
some flash
layer or add row nand support just under geom. Have you take a look on
some project
like uffs (http://uffs.org/) to design the nandflash architecture ? In
your timeline you do
not talk about ware leveling,  do you have take time to think about it
? Without wear
leveling a nandflash with a common filesystem on is back will only
work for one or two
weeks... You don't talk about bad blocks too, how do you think you can
handle them ?

I hope that my question will help you :)

Cheers,

--=20
Sylvestre Gallon (http://devsyl.blogspot.com)
Fifth Grade Student @ Epitech & Researcher @ LSE