Date:      Fri, 30 Jul 2004 08:00:47 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>
To:        Roderick van Domburg <r.s.a.vandomburg@student.utwente.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Curious MySQL building problem /w GCC 3.4.2

--=-ivnBlISYM59vOsseBlSr

On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 09:05, Roderick van Domburg wrote:
> First off, thumbs up for the GCC import. I was awaiting the import to=20
> get a couple of sparc64 boxes up and running!
>=20
> I know I should normally report this to the maintainer or file a PR, but=20
> since this seems so curious and hot on the heels of the GCC import, I=20
> figured I'd post it here.
>=20
> I CVSupped and rebuilt a quad Xeon III on July 29th, and it runs just=20
> fine. However, when recompiling MySQL, progressed just came to a halt at:
>=20
> make  all-am
> Making all in strings
> cc  -DDBUG_OFF -O -pipe -march=3Dpentium3 -c `test -f 'strings-x86.s' ||=20
> echo './'`strings-x86.s
>=20
> 0% CPU and virtually no memory in use.
>=20
> Workaround: compiling strings-x86.s without -pipe. I re-enabled it for=20
> the rest of the build, which is now running in the background and seems=20
> peachy.
>=20
> No idea what causes it, but here's the report. Should I report it to the=20
> maintainer or the GCC team instead?

Roderick, if you can try this again, what happens if you hit Ctrl-D (or
whatever your EOF character is) at the point where it hangs?

I ran into a similar problem with the www/mozilla port configure, but I
didn't get a chance to investigate in much detail.  Basically, the
configure process stops at this point:

checking for .hidden assembler directive...

At this point it's trying to compile an assembler file.  Relevant
processes running at the time are (subject to linewrap):

tomcat:bmah% ps -auxww | grep root | grep conftest
root  15871  0.0  0.0   328  232  p3  S+    7:54AM   0:00.00 cc -c -O
-pipe conftest.s
root  15872  0.0  0.2  1052  900  p3  S+    7:54AM   0:00.00 /usr/bin/as
-o conftest.o conftest.s -

Note the as process with a trailing "-" argument.  I guessed that it was
for some reason waiting for something from stdin, so I typed the EOF
character on the keyboard and that allowed the as process to continue.=20
Now I have a freshly recompiled mozilla, but I'm not sure why.  :-p

Bruce.

--=-ivnBlISYM59vOsseBlSr

--=-ivnBlISYM59vOsseBlSr--