Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 2002 21:36:30 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Daniel Eriksson <Daniel.Eriksson@computer.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SpamAssassin (spamass-milter) - does it work for you?

In the last episode (Aug 16), Daniel Eriksson said:
> I am having trouble keeping SpamAssassin running on my machine using
> /usr/ports/mail/spamass-milter. Is it just me and my configuration, or
> does others also have problems with this port?
>
> What happens is that when I restart the server everything works just
> fine. Spam is filtered out and tagged, and everything is peachy. Some
> time later, I find that I have multiple spamd daemons running and the
> maillog reports timeouts from spamass-milter. How long it takes from
> boot to failure varies. Sometimes it runs for a day or two, and
> sometimes it runs for an hour or two.

The version of spamass-milter in ports has a bug where any emails over
250k hang it.  This is because at this point the spamassassin daemon
that the milter talks to stops actually processing emails and just
passes them straight through (processing a 250k message through ~200
perl regexes is *slow*), and the milter doesn't expect it.

The bugs have been fixed in CVS, but there hasn't been another release
yet.  I recently took over maintainership of the milter itself (not the
port), and will get a new release out this weekend.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com