Date:      Sun, 22 Aug 1999 13:36:01 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Cliff Skolnick <cliff@steam.com>, jay d <service_account@yahoo.com>, Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: multiple machines in the same network

On Sat, 21 Aug 1999, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> > On Sat, 21 Aug 1999, Wes Peters wrote:
> >
> > > You obviously didn't follow the links.  The HP ProCurve I mentioned is $1880
> > > for 40 switched 10/100 ports with layer 3 functionality and VLAN support.
> > > That's $47 port port, much lower than your $250/port, with a LOT more performance
> > > also.  The Tolly Group recently tested it and found it capable of sustaining
> > > full wire speed on all 40 ports.  I'll just be your PCI-bus box isn't going
> > > to hit 4 Gbps throughput.
> >
> > I noticed the only "L3 support" from the spec sheets of the 4000M and
> > 8000M is IGMP snooping to control multicast traffic, and "protocol
> > filtering" only on the 8000M.  Nothing close to IP routing, however
> > (not that you said it did, specifically, just clarifying).  When the
> > Tolly Group said they could "sustain full wire speed on all 40 ports",
> > was that testing each one at a time or all at once?  My math isn't
> > quite warped enough to allow 40 100Mbit/FD ports to all be saturated
> > with only a 3.8Gbit backplane, unless local switching occurs on each
> > of the port modules, and even then the "throughput test" would have to
> > take that into account and not try to move too much data across the
> > backplane.
>
> Your making a common mistake here when an ``ALL PORTS FULL LOAD'' test
> is done, if you have 40 ports all being sent data at 100MB/sec that
> data is going to have to come out on 40 ports someplace, so you only need
> 4Gbit/sec of backplane to do this.  Thats 4G bytes of data in, 4G
> accross the backplane, and 4G back out of the box.

DOH.  I knew better, I just didn't have my head screwed on straight.
However, only half of the expansion slots are filled and already you
are able to saturate the backplane.  Add a couple of gigabit ports and
it makes it much easier to do.

> The 3.8 Gb/s spec comes up a little short, but only buy 2 ports...
> and it had better be darned efficent as far as overhead goes...

Only by 2 ports until you add even more ports.  :-)  Regardless, the
switch still looks like an extremely good buy.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures (SPARC under development).
   ( http://www.freebsd.org )

   "One should admire Windows users.  It takes a great deal of
    courage to trust Windows with your data."