Date:      Sat, 6 Oct 2001 01:42:38 +0100
From:      "Kastaki" <kastaki@ganbert.com>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   XFree86 & Gnome

I installed FreeBSD 4.3 (intel) ok....everything went perfect.
Went back into /stand/sysinstall and tried to configure the X Window
system....could not find my card, so I chose a generic VGA and I also chose
a standard VGA Monitor....installed Gnome.
When I run startx, Gnome looks like shit (excuse my language).
I mean I am not used to working in such a low resolution environment, where
even the browser that I installed (netscape) can't bring up a background
colour!!

My PC is nearly brand new Dell Dimension L1000R.
Pentium III 1GHZ, with 256 MB of memory.
The VGA is built into the mother board - Intel 810e, with 4MB on board
memory.
The Monitor is Dell's 17inch and in Windows 2000 I can get 1024 X 768 (true
colour 24 bit) @ 60Hz!!

I would really appreciate some help as I am moving into a Unix environment
and I need a good looking desktop to go with an excellent operating system
like FreeBSD!!
I am fine using it without the X Window, but I do want to surf the net and I
do want to start playing around with other Ports that do require a GUI
environment!!

Is Gnome really a bad choice or is it the configuration or is it the lack of
a suitable driver for my card!!

Appreciate some comments!!

Kastaki