Date:      Thu, 21 Apr 2011 20:37:43 +0200
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To:        Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Headless box with PVR-250 - ideas needed

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 07:24:20PM +0200, Juergen Lock wrote:
> In article <20110420192340.3cdc0136@zeus.saul.homeunix.org> you write:
> >On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 01:44:50 +0200
> >Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@broadpark.no> wrote:
> >
> >> On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 14:04:38 -0500
> >> Saul A Peebsen <jaglover@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > [...]
>
> >> Other options:
> >> vdr is in ports (I have just tried it briefly, to me it looks as
> >> difficult to get working as MythTV was initially). YMMV
> >
> >Hmmm, VDR can be viewed over the network?
> >
> Yes it can (via xineliboutput or streamdev plugins, see
>
> 	http://wiki.freebsd.org/VDR
>
> ), but natively it only knows about dvb/atsc tuners using the Linux
> /dev/dvb/adapterX api as e.g. provided by the webcamd port for usb
> tuners, so for you card you'd either have to port the pvrinput
> plugin,
>
> 	http://www.linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php/Pvrinput-plugin
>
> (I'm not sure but the Linux ivtv drivers for your card,
>
> 	http://www.ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Main_Page
>
> probably use the V4L2 (/dev/videoX) api which thus differs from the
> one used by the FreeBSD pvrxxx driver so there'd be some more hacking
> involved), or maybe as a stopgap solution hack together some input
> scripts and channels.conf entries for the iptv plugin,
>
> 	http://www.saunalahti.fi/~rahrenbe/vdr/iptv/
>
> in:
>
> 	/usr/local/etc/vdr/plugins/iptv
>
> Some sample channels.conf entries for web streams are in
>
> 	/usr/local/share/examples/vdr-plugin-iptv/channels.conf.iptv
>
> and
>
> 	/usr/ports/multimedia/vdr-plugin-iptv/files/channels.conf.iptv .
>
> >> You could run another os on your backend (Linux?) and just run the
> >> mythfrontend on your (FreeBSD) desktop.
> >> Note: you *must* use the same version of MythTV (actually, the same
> >> version of the MythTV protocol) on the frontend as you do on the
> >> backend, or ity won't work.
> >
> >Well, the situation is a little more complicated. I have home network,
> >my PC, wifes, one media center and one laptop. All of these have
> >one single OS installed and it is Gentoo. My desktop has MythTV backend
> >running with pcHDTV 5500. The trouble starts when something is
> >recording or Wife wants to watch while I'm watching or I shut down my
> >box. So I thought adding one master backend would solve these problems.
> >The only box suitable for this job is my home server, which is running
> >FreeBSD ... It is not very powerful, thus I got an MPEG encoder
> >card ... PVR-250.
> >
> >> So yes, there are options, none of them perfect.
> >
> >Well, currently I log into server over SSH, do cat /dev/cxm0 > file.mpg
> >where file is created on an NFS shared volume and use mplayer to watch
> >it on my desktop, works fine.
> >I wonder if there is a way to access /dev/cxm0 over LAN (some magic
> >with netcat perhaps?), without logging in over SSH, so Wife could watch
> >it from her desktop. SSH login is a little too much for her ...
>
>  If you just want to watch (or record) whatever is coming in on
> [...]

I forgot that you have a pretty wimpy cpu, so maybe the live transcoding
won't work on your box anyway.  If it doesn't, try removing the entire
transcoding part i.e. the

	transcode{vcodec=$VIDEO_CODEC$RESIZE_OPTIONS,acodec=$AUDIO_CODEC,vb=${VIDEO_BITRATE},ab=${AUDIO_BITRATE}}:

in your vlc invocation in the vlc2input script, chances are the
stream from the card is compatible enough.

 HTH,
	Juergen