Date:      Sat, 9 Oct 1999 01:38:11 -0600
From:      "Tim Pushor" <timp@crossthread.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Weird pppd/proxyarp/ipnat behaviour

Hello,

I am running an OpenBSD 2.5/i386 system that is acting as a NAT translator
to the world via a cable modem. I have two ethernet interfaces.

Internally I have a 192.168.1.0/24 network, and NAT from the LAN works as
expected.

I put a modem on the system and configured mgetty+pppd for dialin. I am
using proxy arp to make it appear that the dialed in user is local to that
LAN segment. Locally this works properly.

The weird thing is that I cannot successfully ping hosts on the Internet
from the machine I am dialed in on! tcp/udp seems to work properly though.

I can ping hosts on the Internet from machines on the LAN segment.

I'm not sure where to begin troubleshooting this problem. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tim