Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 16:47:54 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        jack <jack@germanium.xtalwind.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mgetty AutoPPP not working.

jack wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Wes Peters wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to setup a ppp dialin using mgetty.  I've configured AutoPPP
> > This is running on a vanilla 2.2.6-RELEASE system.  Should I upgrade the
> > system,
>
> That shouldn't be a problem, I've got two  2.2.6 boxes that have
> been running it for nearly 5 months, this boot.  85 lusers
> currently logged in with PAP.
>
> > or can someone clue me into what I've done wrong?
>
> Did you compile with -DAUTO_PPP ?  I'm not sure if that is done
> by default in the port or not, I did some modifications and
> didn't use the port IIRC.

That was it!  I installed the package version, which was not compiled with
-DAUTO_PPP.  Thanks for the tip.

Our dialup server was running Linux until last week, when it ate it's
disk drive.  We got a new IBM DCAS 4.3G UW SCSI a couple of days ago,
and the resident Linuxhead is gone, so I'm FreeBSDing the system.  He'll
be amused when he gets back.  ;^)

We're also planning on sticking a 16-port serial board into this beast
to talk to the serial consoles on some of our lab equipment.  Do you have
any suggestions for good, high-density serial boards?  We'd like one
that allows us to use RJ-45 connectors on a rackmount panel, if possible.

Thanks again for the help, Jack.  As usual, the FreeBSD support line
comes through in record time!

--
             Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                                      +1.801.915.2061
Softweyr LLC                                                   wes@softweyr.com