Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 21:03:52 +0100 (BST)
From:      Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   AVM PCI card interfering with other devices on bus

I recently upgraded my router machine at home: previously a 486 with a
Teles 16/3 card running FreeBSD 2.x and an early i4b release, replaced by
a PPro 200 with an AVM PCI card (actually the BT-badged variant), running
FreeBSD 4.1-stable and i4b 0.95.

The card identifies as:

ifpi0: <AVM Fritz!Card PCI> port0xff80-0xff9f mem 0xffbeec00-0xffbeec1f irq 11 at device 17.0 on pci0
ifpi0: ISAC 2085 Version A1/A2 or 2086/2186 Version 1.1 (IOM-2)

The i4b setup itself appears to work perfectly, but whenever i4b is active
(running ppp over rbch) on one channel, voice calls on the other channel
(made using an AVM Fritz!X PBX) get severely corrupted in the "Tx"
direction - I can hear the person at the other end perfectly, but my voice
is heavily corrupted so that they can't make out what I am saying. The
effect is slightly intermittent: occasionally I will get a good call,
sometimes it's only slightly corrupt, but in each case when I get a bad
call I can fix it instantly (ie. while the caller is still on the line)
by killing the PPP connection, or by simply unplugging the PC from the
ISDN bus.

To narrow down the problem, I tried the following, none of which had any
consistent effect:

- Changed the cables

- Moved the PC so that it can plug directly into the NTE (normally it's
  at the far end of a (terminated) bus about 10m long).

- Swapped the Fritz!X for an Istec 1008 PBX.

- Replaced the AVM PCI card by a brand new one of the same type.

Finally, I removed the PCI card and replaced it with the Teles 16.3 out of
the old PC, and this has been working perfectly for the past two days.

This has to be some kind of timing problem on the S-bus, but I don't see
why the ISAC should be different on these cards than any other.

The ISIC is labelled:

  Infineon
  PSB2186
  V1.1