Date:      Fri, 4 Jan 2008 23:18:48 +0200
From:      Metin KAYA <metin@EnderUNIX.org>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, rick-freebsd@kiwi-computer.com
Subject:   Re[2]: select

> In message: <363446479.20080103213223@EnderUNIX.org>
>             Metin KAYA <metin@EnderUNIX.org> writes:
> :    Yes Rick, I'm asking this "indefinitely" issue. Is there anything
> :    that handle this NULL situation a signal, or etc.? How does Linux or
> :    FreeBSD behave?
> :
: >> On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 08:52:48PM +0200, Metin KAYA wrote:
: >>>
: >>>   How select(2) will behave if I give the "utimeout" parameter as
: >>>   NULL?
> :
: >> According to the man page:
> :
: >>      If timeout is not a null pointer, it specifies the maximum interval to
: >>      wait for the selection to complete.  System activity can lengthen the
: >>      interval by an indeterminate amount.
> :
: >>      If timeout is a null pointer, the select blocks indefinitely.
> :
: >>      To effect a poll, the timeout argument should not be a null pointer, but
: >>      it should point to a zero-valued timeval structure.
> :

> Indefinitely means "it won't return until there's an error or data"

> Warner

Thanks a lot Warner. It's a good explanation.

--
Metin KAYA
EnderUNIX Software Developer          Endersys Software Engineer