Date:      Wed, 11 Jan 1995 13:49:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        MBERBAUM@UA1VM.UA.EDU (Michael L. Berbaum)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org, hardware@FreeBSD.org, scsi@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec AHA-2940 support in FreeBSD-lite 2.0

> Greetings,
>      My new PC will use an Adaptec AHA-2940 bus master PCI-to-Fast SCSI
> host adapter.  I want to determine whether a driver for the adapter is
> built in to the latest release of FreeBSD (the v1.14 FAQ of 1994/12/29
> lists several Adaptec series, but not this one, so I suspect not) or
> whether it is possible to load the appropriate driver at boot time
> and to make this 'automatic'.  If you've been through this question,
> can you advise me or point me to drivers and instructions for
> configuration?  Also, has anyone undertaken development of support
> for the AHA-2940 for FreeBSD?   Any help and advice appreciated!
> --Mike

I have written support for the aic7770 based cards (2742 and 2842).
I'm currently working with some testers in the Linux camp to get my
294x driver off the ground.  The current theory is a problem with
doing inw and outw instructions to the card.  I'll know more about this
later today.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
TCS Instructional Group - Programmer/Analyst 1