Date:      Tue, 09 Apr 2013 02:49:49 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Power switch not working

In message <20130407060507.76fd8bd1.freebsd@edvax.de>,
Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:

>This is what "shutdown -p now" does.

It's times like these than make me want to go off to some dark place and
hang my head in shame.

I confess that I wasn't ever aware of the -p option for shutdown until now.
I can't really explain why.  Probably the last time I looked at that man
page for shutdown(8) was also the first time I ever looked at it, and may
well have been so long ago that it predated the very existance of the -p
option.

Anyway, thanks.

>For example, I've programmed Ctrl+Alt+Moon on my Sun USB keyboard...

Sun keyboards have moon keys??

(I hope and trust that I'm not the only one who finds this fact rather
comical.  Perhaps that's why Sun put the key there (?))

>In the past, this kind of operation has been performed via APM.
>When APM has been fully supported, it was abolished and replaced
>by ACPI. At the time ACPI is fully working, standard-compliant
>and supported among all the many vendors, it will be obsoleted
>by something different, probably UEFI, and the fun restarts. :-)

Yea.

ISA -> PCI -> PCIe -> PCIe2.x -> PCIe3.x  ...

DRAM -> SDRAM -> DDR -> DDR2 -> DDR3 ...

ATX 20 pin -> ATX 24 pin ...

Somebody is always coming up with something new that will inevitably force
me to spend money, buing new hardware, despite all my resistance.

Regards,
rfg